The InSinkErator Badger 1, 1/3 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal is a great choice for small apartments and condos. Since it comes from InSinkErator, you know it will be of great quality. They've been developing and manufacturing an assortment of kitchen appliances for almost 100 years, and they’ve always made them in the United States.
Their Badger line of disposals is one of their most notable. It’s known for offering top quality performance while staying affordable. The Badger 1 is a low-power motor, but it runs efficiently enough that you won’t see a performance difference. Its motor is a Dura-Drive Induction model that will grind up all of the standard disposal-safe food waste.
This garbage disposal is perfect for a studio apartment or a small condo that is only home to one or two people. The small motor is also a great addition to a bar sink that is only used occasionally. It will still make clean up easier and has just the right amount of power for a small job. Its galvanized steel parts will keep it going for a very long time.
InSinkErator Badger - 1/3HP
Replacing your old disposal with the Badger 1 means that you’ll have one of the most high-quality garbage disposal units available on the market today. InSinkErator keeps the installation easy with just a few steps. Since this model has the cord with it, the electrical portion of the installation is as easy as unplugging your coffee maker and plugging in your toaster.
Start by unplugging your old disposal. Then you can detach it from the mount. You may want to have something under it since it will drop as soon as it’s been disconnected and can be rather heavy. So long as your old unit had a 3-bolt mount, you shouldn’t need to change the mounting assembly. If your old unit was also an InSinkErator model, it will fit without a problem.
Next, you’ll need to plug in your new Badger 1 garbage disposal. Once it is plugged in, you can affix it to the mounting hardware. You’ll just need to hold the disposal in place while turning the lower mounting ring. There should be three tabs that lock into place. You’ll know you’ve got it when the disposal can hang without you holding it up.
At this point, it’s a good idea to go ahead and connect the drain tube. You may need to twist the disposal to ensure that the drain will align with the drain in your plumbing. Once that is connected, you can use a wrench to tighten the three bolts to secure the disposal in place.
Tips for Smaller Disposals
The size of a garbage disposal actually refers to the power of the engine, so this Badger 1 is generally considered the smallest of available disposals since it only has 1/3 HP. While this is still plenty of power for your small apartment or condo needs, there are a few things that you can keep in mind to get the most out of this smaller engine.
Be Careful What You Grind
By ensuring that everything you put down the drain is safe and appropriate, you'll keep your disposal running in its best condition. With the Badger 1, you should be sure to stick to leftover meat scraps, fruit and vegetable peels and rinds, other water-soluble food items that can easily be broken down.
The list of foods to avoid is a bit longer than more powerful models, but shouldn’t be a big hindrance:
- Fats & oils
- Coffee Grounds
- Banana & onion peels
- Melon rinds
- Small pasta and rice
As long as you treat your Badger 1 with appropriate care, it will be a reliable dishwasher for many years.
- Easy Installation – This fits almost any 3-bolt mounting assembly, so upgrading to a new model is a cinch. Since it comes with a power cord, you’ll just plug it in and the electrical work will be done.
- Compact Size – The Badger 1 by InSinkErator is less than 12 inches long and less than 6.5 inches wide. It will fit into any cabinet space under any sink without taking up all of your storage space. This space-saving design will make it a great addition under a bar sink or in a small living space.
- Parts Included – InSinkErator includes instructions and a cord, but they also include all of the hardware that you’ll need, a wrench, flange, discharge tube, and gasket with the garbage disposal.
- Great Warranty – InSinkErator goes above and beyond with their warranty. If there are any issues, they will come to you to fix it.
- Size – if you have a larger living space, are an avid cook, or usually have more than one or two people living in your home you will want a more powerful motor that this 1/3 HP.
Not every household needs a huge or super-powerful garbage disposal, but all kitchen areas can benefit from being able to wash food waste and debris down the drain. When your space is small, and you don’t need much, the InSinkErator Badger 1, 1/3 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal is a perfect choice.
It’s easy to install and comes with everything you need right in the box. The Badger 1 is a durable and reliable way to ensure that your food waste doesn’t end up in a landfill.